L'histoire du chemin de
St Jacques de Compostelle en Ariège
The Tourist Office of Saint-Lizier, conscious of the wealth of sites with historical links to the pilgrimage route to Compostella, decided in 1992 to retrace the trail linking Saint-Lizier with Saint-Bertrand de Comminges.
To emphasize the importance of welcoming pilgrims, the tourist office created a jacquaire stop in the very heart of the Hotel Dieu.
On 30 May 1998, the association "Le Chemin de Saint-Jacques de Compostelle du Piémont Ariège-Pyrenees" was created in order to call attention to the architectural and artistic patrimony of the Saint James Way in the Pyreneen foothills, with an emphasis on hospitality. It's main office is in Saint-Lizier, a jacquaire site with a Confrérie St Jacques dating back to 1533.
Already in 1992, Mr. de la Coste Messelière, then director of the European Centre of Compostellan Studies had put forward the proposal to have Saint-Lizier recognised as a stage on the pilgrim route through the Pyrenees foothills; this recognition would be permanently established by the designation in 1998 of the Saint-Lizier monuments as world patrimony and as important landmarks along St James Way.
Association du Piémont Pyrénéen
Halte Saint Jacques
09190 Saint Lizier
Président : Roger PUECH
Secretary : Danièle PELATA
Treasurer : Anne-Marie SUBERCAZE